机械社区

找回密码
 注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
楼主: 吃饱吃好

Can anybody give me some advice working with foreign superior?

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-9-27 02:10:57 | 显示全部楼层
I used to work with many German colleagues.  Their English is typically quite good (Europe is small with many even smaller countries. So many of the people grow up with several languages.  They are naturally multi-lingual.)/ z) x0 o- h' E
Practice your English now.  Practice and talk to the wall when you are alone.   3 `/ R9 }1 k7 g
Remember, conversation is not as important as speech.  What I mean is: it's not time for you to practice how to be funny and how to make friends now.  You need to practice work-English, i.e. speak for a minute or two to clearly express what you mean, about a work related issue.  ' t+ J* b! \9 Y' [* M
That way, you won't be misunderstood by your colleagues and wont' lose out during meetings.
4 ?- C; `8 w( IYour boss will feel you are more capable and hardworking, than if you don't speak well at work.3 R. ]+ v6 N+ ^% U9 i% q
There is a big culture difference between the East and the West.  Don't be "work hard quietly and only let your boss discover, by surprise, that you are really good".  Try to be "you work hard but try even harder to let everybody know that you are working hard".  Many Indian people are very good at this and they really screw up Chinese co-workers at workplace.$ d, O* d$ A+ _9 K7 |$ A5 [# e7 {
Good luck!

点评

现在更倾向你的建议。  发表于 2016-9-27 10:45
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 08:34:43 | 显示全部楼层
passion  passion  passion
# Z8 P  B- h' G: w0 |http://www.cmiw.cn/forum.php?mod ... &highlight=NASA
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 08:39:36 | 显示全部楼层
好有高大上的感觉!你的经验飞雇主所能用上的,也没在外企干过,害怕自己胜任不了,话说回来,你说的我都没看懂,我都能给你建议,好好和哥学学,大胆些。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 08:49:16 | 显示全部楼层
try to use simple word to conmunicate and know about the technical word in your wrok.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 10:06:49 | 显示全部楼层
just  do   it
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2016-9-27 10:21:01 | 显示全部楼层
喜欢机械设计 发表于 2016-9-27 02:106 N" |0 M, H  l: W
I used to work with many German colleagues.  Their English is typically quite good (Europe is small  ...
8 P; q/ T1 g; W1 ]7 X+ @  p
Upvote, what you shared is very practical to me.9 {5 T/ ?& i7 n- \8 ^* O! l2 i: x. i; f
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 10:33:49 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 淡然 于 2016-9-27 10:35 编辑
2 C; r7 P# u9 O! _" k+ o) h" n+ S/ X  Z6 ]
It is a very good chance to learn .Good luck!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 10:36:51 | 显示全部楼层
Alex_rcpilot 发表于 2016-9-27 00:57! N5 X+ U( T* G6 w; V
Bit of a cliché here when it comes to "fast speakers". Most Germans don't even speak English, the r ...

- X( r8 e9 _+ P2 E) NHello Alex.  I think your advice is professional and helpful.  And I have never worked in a foreign company,so I am wondering  if there are some political fights in Germany companies like there are  in chinese ones.  I will appreciate very much if I receive your response. Best wishes.- i+ g- K$ o. i' k9 j
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2016-9-27 11:46:40 | 显示全部楼层
Alex_rcpilot 发表于 2016-9-27 00:572 B( @, D. H+ c! i& w5 ]
Bit of a cliché here when it comes to "fast speakers". Most Germans don't even speak English, the r ...

% v. u) Q* e1 B' \  LLearning German is a fresh advice for me, it absolutely requires a great deal of determination.( U+ X; R6 j) }& ~+ _
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-9-27 15:35:43 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 Alex_rcpilot 于 2016-9-27 15:38 编辑
; E5 _- D7 p) Y6 Q) l0 Y% {
小小刘llt 发表于 2016-9-27 10:36
" P+ j& |/ F$ h$ @3 _, f8 JHello Alex.  I think your advice is professional and helpful.  And I have never worked in a foreig ...
2 ~) V7 K+ e" }) z3 A
Office politics is ubiquitous, it's just a matter of extent. Grown-ass adults can put up with benign politics in most companies. But every now and then a calculated duchebag finds his way into a certain companies and manages to redefine shameless.
% K, o8 ^! K3 J; sI used to work at a Japanese corporation in Beijing. My P.M and G.M were both Chinese. Great atmosphere here in the lab filled with Chinese engineers. Sales office next doors had a few Japanese supervisors. One floor above, the general accountant, Yoshimi(吉见), was also a Japanese. Japs obviously didn't trust us with their money. & p6 y2 t  q( s
( i5 Z% m* U4 S* M  c: _( [
Most Japanese colleagues were upright, hard working and treated us with respect. But Yoshimi was a real piece of work. Even other Japanese saw him like a freak. Guy probably grew up with polio, when he happened to go to he bathroom ahead of you he would walk slightly crippled and glance back over his shoulder with a vigiant stare at you, as if you were to stab him in the back. Vicious as he was, HQ liked him, 'cause he helped cut cost down by messing with everybody at work. This is as bad as office politics can be at a foreign corporation. There's nothing you could do to remove him from that position. , d, ]" R: j" z; l# c
* Q, O  b# \7 i2 o
Same thing could happen to any company, including German ones. But engineers carry around a blessing, which is the nature of their job.
/ a/ d: k% S( D( e5 W# z" u8 H. W1. There're a lot less female engineers. I don't mean to spread sexual prejudice, but politics tend to flurish in feminine officies. * X  e) [% V6 Z* ]* f
2. Even for female egineers, they would be technical-oriented and are good with logical thinking.
9 t" W2 ^: \, A& q3. Engineers are less full of shit towards other humans because their job requires their attention to focus on lifeless objects.
, n6 k) E# e) n0 [
% M) a  }! u+ c+ k  x+ R$ H$ HBack in that company I worked at, our lab was the best space for one to be on the whole level. We could crack jokes with one another and share interesting findings, make wild guesses or simply shut up and work. The accountant, cashier, our big-boobed receptionist and sometimes our G.M all loved to hump in every once in a while an laugh with us. My advice to office politics is fairly simple: focus on your own work. If it gets in your way too much, leave.
) Y% p+ V" p& n

点评

Alex, thanks for the response. Im for your attitude to office politics which is 'focus on your own work. If it gets in your way too much, leave.'  发表于 2016-9-27 16:18
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|机械社区 ( 京ICP备10217105号-1,京ICP证050210号,浙公网安备33038202004372号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 04:35 , Processed in 0.057239 second(s), 14 queries , Gzip On.