小师妹_c937B 发表于 2016-12-1 16:32:47

机器总有一死,谈谈失效分析(failure analysis)

很久没叫大家学英语,今天这篇也是来自engineering clicks,作者是一个穆斯林女工程师,截一段作者简介,虽然不资深,但是看看别人的工作状态也是有利无弊嘛~

文章的原标题是这样的,整篇文章比较短,也比较简单,老规矩,大家可以把自己对原文的理解跟帖回复,我会稍后贴出我的译文,对照着看看学学。

I’d like to discuss an example of failure analysis on a customer’s product, a small machine. During the course of my analysis, I projected a significant decrease in performance over time due to a seemingly insignificant manufacturing defect. He was faced with a choice: either repurpose the part (melt it and reuse its material) or use it as-is with the understanding that it would wear faster than planned.https://www.engineeringclicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/failure-analysis.jpg
Educating clients about failure analysisThe client was unfamiliar with failure analysis, and couldn’t comprehend how a scratch from a tool could result in failure. As the client was not an engineer, I slowly walked him through the phenomena and simplified as much as possible the theory behind failure. In the end, he was convinced but stated, “The pyramids have been around for more than 4000 years. I don’t see them crumbling because of weather or vibration or random defects”. However, I explained that he was building a small machine that generates a lot of motion, not a static structure.
Investment in failure analysis systemsFailure analysis is often missed, especially with small companies that go directly from CAD to manufacturing. As failure analysis requires advanced and often expensive skill sets and software, smaller companies often feel that they can’t afford it and instead rely on their own technicians’ expertise and their secure place in their market. However, as competitiveness and quality standards increase, failure anaylsis is becoming more and more important and these smaller companies are increasingly at a disadvantage. Many modern requirements demand a certain number of working cycles for a machine or system, and without failure analysis it is difficult to meet these requirements.
Maintaining a competitive edgeLarger and more advanced companies that do failure analysis have an advantage. For example, if your shop exclusively welds railway rails, quantifying the number of cycles at average speed your welded rails can take is a valuable asset in today’s competitive market. Most universities offer training on quantifying residual stress from heat, the stress resulting from vibration and the impact of frequency on the rails’ structure in case of defects. The main challenge is to be aware of new requirements and make sure to maintain the capabilities to meet them.
Of course, in addition to the failure analysis you will need to add in safety factors and application-specific coefficients before presenting to your potential buyer; every industry has its own security coefficients and best practices to ensure safety and performance. For example, a lift that says it holds up to four people will likely hold several more before failing, but its rating is reduced to ensure a factor of safety.
Working with universities and Ph.D. candidatesIf you run a business that manufactures a product, consider the benefits of failure analysis to your competitive position, liability and safety. Many universities conduct research in an effort to help the industry become more reliable and give opportunities to PhD candidates. Your company may be able to benefit by bringing your own industry-specific issues to universities, while providing their staff and students with useful projects to work on. This could be a win-win for your business, the university and the industry at large.

张晓刚zxg 发表于 2016-12-1 19:41:08

英文不好,坐等楼主译文

五面怪 发表于 2016-12-1 20:04:14

有些专业的词汇、看起来确实很费劲,先收藏啦、慢慢看!

机械路慢 发表于 2016-12-2 09:21:16

本帖最后由 机械路慢 于 2016-12-2 09:22 编辑

个人英语水平有限,虽然单词都认识,但深层专业知识可能理解不对。感觉这位女同志说都是一些可以google的知识点,没有具体说怎么去做失效分析(步骤,方法,思路什么的),而是说了做失效分析有什么好处,不开森。PS:人家能有这样的认识比我强多了,我平时都不想自己的工作有什么重要之处

universal 发表于 2016-12-2 11:43:06

楼主,你毕竟是外行,失效分析的是零件,不是机器,机器报废往往考虑的是经济性和安全性,不是失效。

众要机械 发表于 2016-12-8 09:28:42

我喜欢讨论客户产品的的失败案例。

随风227 发表于 2016-12-24 17:31:07

大体看了下,应该是在讲 失效分析的重要性和方法,一是让客户了解知道失效分析 二是对失效分析进行投资 三是失效分析会带来竞争优势 四是 和大学或者是研究所进行合作

茄子把儿 发表于 2016-12-26 10:17:57

英语得学啊

众要机械 发表于 2016-12-26 16:15:02

楼主忘记给翻译了,等译文中。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 机器总有一死,谈谈失效分析(failure analysis)